On 07/27 10:20 , Jason Hsu, embedded engineer, Linux user wrote:
> Youtube works fine for me on this 9-year-old IBM NetVista with a 1 GHz processor and only 256 MB of RAM.

Yeah, the video card probably has a lot to do with it. It's a Matrox G450,
which isn't the best. Still, I'd rather invest in new hardware now, rather
than kludge along older stuff.

> Are you sure you really need to replace your 1.1 GHz K7?  Wouldn't an upgrade be more cost effective?

I've not seen 'ugrades' to be really worth it over the long run. Generally,
for a little bit more money you can get a later design of hardware which
works far better.

>  Even if you need to replace your old computer, why not replace it with a newer used computer?

Good point there. I may consider doing that.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator