GPS drive works well via a laptop in Linux:
http://www.gpsdrive.de/

I also have an older USB GPS unit (Pharos based with Microsoft name on
it- it will work in Linux and GPS Drive). If interested in purchasing
real cheap contact me off list.

A former employer used laptop based navigation in their vehicles, but it
was Streets and Trips with a USB unit on the dash. It was a Windows only
operation, but I must say, turn by turn worked very well with that
setup. Plus the Sprint wifi gave up-to-date construction updates on the
road.

*Jeremy MountainJohnson*
jeremy at jskier.com <mailto:jeremy at jskier.com>