I have encountered a networking issue that makes no sense.  Anyone up
for a challenge?

Hardware:
HP Pavilion desktop PC, onboard RTL NIC, Debian OS
Netgear 16 port switch (old style Bay Networks variety)

One month ago, HP was connected to said switch without issue.  I've
done some re-arranging and now the switch and HP are moved to another
room, and all is re-connected.
When I boot up the HP, I can't get a link light.  No network access of any kind.
Swapped the cable, same story.
Tried another port, same story.
All other hosts on the switch (there are 6 plus the uplink) are fine
Installed an Intel 10/100 Pro NIC, same story
Installed a 3com 3905B, same story
OS issue?  Booted Knoppix, same story.
Plugged laptop into the same cable and into the switch.  Works fine.
Connected laptop to onboard NIC with crossover cable.  WORKS!
Connected 3C905B and onboard RTL NIC together with crossover.  Works!

Every piece of hardware in the equation has been tested and/or
swapped.  Everything works.  Yet, when the HP wants to connect to the
switch, regardless of which NIC goes to the switch, I can't get a link
light.

I am truly stumped.  Any ideas?

Brian