On 07/14 02:09 , Robert Nesius wrote:
> So when I finally got my own workstation/office as a student intern I had an
> xterm that I very very carefully never typed in to let it's idle time climb
> up so that when people ran finger they could see one of my sessions was idle
> for MONTHS!  I'd run the command myself sometimes and congratulate myself
> for being a made man, with my own ridiculously high idle-time shell.  Yeah.
> My office mates even knew about my "special shell" that I was cultivating,
> and thus were immensely amused when I finally accidentally typed 'ls' in my
> super-idle shell one day.  GAH!
> Anyway - you can all laugh at me now.

Cool anecdote.
I presume you didn't have 'screen' back in those days? (How far back does
'screen' go anyway?)

I do know of people who used to be proud of how many months/years they were
logged into a machine via screen.

Highest uptime record I've seen on a linux box was 1056 days. Customer
didn't pay for patches, and amazingly the power company kept the power on
that time (customer didn't pay for a UPS either).

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator