On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, Eric F Crist wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2010, at 13:00:06, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> One is Western Digital and the other is Samsung.  I was having the same
>> problem with either one.  Check this out:
>>
>> $ uptime
>>  12:54:24 up 224 days, 23:59, 23 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.12, 0.09
>>
>> I really want to reboot this machine, but I'm always using it for some
>> big job.  Probably within the next month or two I'll shut it down,
>> upgrade some components, install Ubuntu 10.04 and bring it back up.
>> Then I can test the file transfer speed again.
>
> *cough*
>
> ecrist at puma:~-> uptime
> 1:15PM  up 787 days,  3:17, 11 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.04, 0.07
>
> It would have 1005 more days, but our data center where this box resides
> had a PDU failure which knocked out half the customers.  You know who
> you are, data center.  Oh, that's a FreeBSD box, so I don't suspects
> many on a LUG list to see numbers that big. :P
>
> Before you all jump on me for not having it updated, it's a FreeBSD 4.11
> box on a private LAN running internal software.  Rest assured this box
> is on it's way out in the next 6 months.
>
> Anyone beat that?

OK, you win, but it isn't necessarily a good thing to have a long uptime.
Some updates require rebooting.  In fact, I would have liked to have
rebooted in May and upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04 at that time.

I don't think I have a security problem, though, because we have strict
firewalls and only SSH comes through.  I watch for security issues in SSH
and I also use tcp wrappers to block SSH attempts from most domains,
especially foreign countries.

Mike