On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Mike Miller
<mbmiller+l at gmail.com<mbmiller%2Bl at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Robert Nesius wrote:
> >
> > I think this is likely a case of bus-contention.  Especially if the
> > reads and writes were being sent through the same bus/controller.  I've
> > had similar issues when doing things with USB devices.
>
> Maybe I would have better luck if I used a different pair of USB ports.
> I kinda doubt it because it seems like the big problem is with writes.
> Combining reading from one with writing to the other is definitely worse,
> but the major impact on system performance is coming from the writes.
> Maybe slowness of file transfers is an interaction of the two.

I was thinking about this some more last night and I wasn't completely happy
with my hypothesis.  I have actually noticed the "slowing down to a crawl"
behavior when copying from an internal hard-drive to a USB2 drive myself.  A
system reboot and repeat attempt sailed through with no slowdown.  I've
always wondered about that - seems like our experiences point to the
microcontroller or driver.  What is the brand of your external drive?

That sounds like part of the problem.  Is there a better way to copy a
> collection of files and directories from one external USB HDD to another?
> I don't know how to do that with dd -- isn't that just for cloning?

Assuming your block-sizes are the same you can clone a smaller drive to a
bigger drive with dd and use partition-managing software to grow the
partition.  I've never done that, but I'm pretty sure that's a way to do
it.  I'm also pretty sure someone else on the list can confirm or deny that.
:)

Lastly, when copying filesystems or very large directories, the key thing to
remember for speeding things up is that you're better off doing intermediary
transmissions as one huge bit-stream.  So when I'm sending things over a
network I tar things up into a compressed tarball - send the tarball, then
extract the tarball on the other end - that can be faster than a straight
rsync or network copy.  I wouldn't think that necessary though with
everything connected to the machine.

-Rob