Some months back I asked about setting up a shared disk resource among multiple linux boxes, no one had a solution for me but there was some interest in hearing back about what I did.

I wrote out the steps I did to get things working as a blog post because it turned out to be rather long and I'm not sure everyone here is interested in the details.
http://gimparm.blogspot.com/2010/07/iscsi-with-ocfs2.html

In summary, I decided on iscsitarget iscsitarget.sourceforge.net,  open-iscsi www.open-iscsi.org and OCFS2 oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2
Mostly my choice to use those came down to popularity of articles surrounding the projects, available packages in the Ubuntu apt repository, and that fact that they worked on my first try.

-Scott