On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Olwe Bottorff <galanolwe at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Are you saying plug a giga-e switch into a 10/100 router port, then run all
> the boxes through the switch? The Linux box is an older machine. It's net
> card is definitely not giga-e.

Yes - that's what he's saying.  That would enable your machines to talk
amongst each other without being throttled by the router's smaller
through-put.  But as you noted you need giga-e interfaces across the board.

Keep in mind the aggregate through-put of a switch is not the sum of its
ports multiplied by the bandwidth per port.  A gig-e switch with 5-ports
will probably only support 2gb total throughput (like the netgear pro-line),
if that.   On the other hand, 99.999% of home networks probably don't care
about that. :)  I guess I'm just being pedantic.

-Rob