--- On Thu, 7/1/10, Brian Wall <kc0iog at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Brian Wall <kc0iog at gmail.com>

> They have a modem from their ISP patched into a Netgear Web Safe Router (RP614v3) and four Win boxes (2XP, Vista, Win7) plugged into the router. Could this router be deactivated and used as just a hub? Would file serving be done by Samba?

You can probably disable the DHCP server and router and just use the
onboard switch.  Then again, why not keep using the firewall / router
as is and build the linux box for filesharing only?

The router has 4 ports and the new Linux box would be five. Can I get a cheap switch/hub to extend the router?