On 1/20/2010 10:21 AM, Robert Nesius wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:23 AM, greg wm <tclug1 at greatlakedata.com
> <mailto:tclug1 at greatlakedata.com>> wrote:
>

>         Otherwise, make sure your system is up to date and running the
>         latest
>         kernel (not sure what the Hardy roadmap looks like so I am
>         unsure as to
>         what the lastest is, just run apt-get install dist-upgrade)
>

>     yes i'm dist-upgrade already.  as root, works, bingo!  also works as
>     the user created by the ubuntu installer.  but as any other user, not.
>

> I see the issue was group memberships (from the mail after this one)
>
> How did you create the user?  I'd expect there to be a way to create a
> user in Ubuntu that would have covered details like "appropriate group
> memberships"...
>
> -Rob

Nothing too fancy:

xbmc at mediabox:~$ sudo adduser test
Adding user `test' ...
Adding new group `test' (1002) ...
Adding new user `test' (1002) with group `test' ...
The home directory `/home/test' already exists.  Not copying from
`/etc/skel'.
adduser: Warning: The home directory `/home/test' does not belong to the
user you are currently creating.
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
Changing the user information for test
Enter the new value, or press ENTER for the default
         Full Name []:
         Room Number []:
         Work Phone []:
         Home Phone []:
         Other []:
Is the information correct? [Y/n]
xbmc at mediabox:~$ sudo adduser test audio
Adding user `test' to group `audio' ...
Adding user test to group audio
Done.

I'm sure you could assign the group during using 'adduser' as well but I
was lazy reading the man page ADDUSER(8).

You could check the gnome tools, but as far as I know they don't have a
useradd utility.