> How about 'strace -eopen alsamixer'. Is there anything alsamixer is
> unable to load? Try as root too, you may be missing a user group. There
> looks to be a bundle of information on the Ubuntu forums about this as
> well so that may be a good read too.
>
> Otherwise, make sure your system is up to date and running the latest
> kernel (not sure what the Hardy roadmap looks like so I am unsure as to
> what the lastest is, just run apt-get install dist-upgrade)

yes i'm dist-upgrade already.  as root, works, bingo!  also works as the
user created by the ubuntu installer.  but as any other user, not.  if i
deprive that orig user of it's orig home directory content, then that user
also fails to access sound.  but if i use the content of that orig home
directory for another user (chown -R user.user), no help.  mimicing all the
orig user entries in /etc/group and /etc/gshadow also no help.  failure
looks like
$ audacious /g/radio.pls
 MADPlug-Message: failed to open audio output: XMMS reverse compatibility
output plugin
$  strace -eopen alsamixer
open("/etc/ld.so.cache", O_RDONLY)      = 3
open("/lib/libncurses.so.5", O_RDONLY)  = 3
open("/usr/lib/libasound.so.2", O_RDONLY) = 3
open("/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libm.so.6", O_RDONLY) = 3
open("/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2", O_RDONLY) = 3
open("/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0", O_RDONLY) = 3
open("/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6", O_RDONLY) = 3
open("/dev/urandom", O_RDONLY)          = 3
open("/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf", O_RDONLY) = 3
open("/dev/snd/controlC0", O_RDONLY)    = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
open("/dev/aloadC0", O_RDONLY)          = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
directory
Process 18713 detached
i suppose i'm about ready to punt and just chown all my stuff over to that
orig installer user, but anybody got any suggestion how perhaps to get sound
working for any other user?