On 1/20/2010 4:40 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Ian Young wrote:
>

>> I'm a Gnome user but have gotten pulled into it because I used and loved
>> Amarok 1.4, and am being railroaded into upgrading to Amarok 2 (by
>> Gentoo, of all distributions). There's some Reddit griping at
>> <http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/84zux/who_else_feels_amarok2_is_a_huge_dissapointment/>.
>> While it's from months ago, most of the complaints still feel completely
>> relevant.
>>

> I started a new thread.  I've used Amarok just a little, but I'm thinking
> of spending some time on learning it better.  Before I do that, I'd like
> to hear what other people are thinking of it and what other solutions
> there are for managing large numbers of audio files.
>
> I'm especially interested in a client/server kind of system where the
> media files and Db can be stored on one machine but other machines can
> access Amarok on the remote machine and stream the audio.
>
> Mike

Not a standalone application but I have been using Jinzora (web based
app) which optionally stores index data in a *sql database. Also, this
way your client installs are probably already done (http(s) streaming
anyone?). Definitely not enterprise ready by any means but works great
for my 120+ gigs of random MP3s. Seems to match your ideal description
pretty well Mike.