On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Ian Young wrote:
>
>> I'm a Gnome user but have gotten pulled into it because I used and loved
>> Amarok 1.4, and am being railroaded into upgrading to Amarok 2 (by
>> Gentoo, of all distributions). There's some Reddit griping at
>> <http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/84zux/who_else_feels_amarok2_is_a_huge_dissapointment/>.
>> While it's from months ago, most of the complaints still feel completely
>> relevant.
>

> I started a new thread.  I've used Amarok just a little, but I'm thinking
> of spending some time on learning it better.  Before I do that, I'd like
> to hear what other people are thinking of it and what other solutions
> there are for managing large numbers of audio files.
>
> I'm especially interested in a client/server kind of system where the
> media files and Db can be stored on one machine but other machines can
> access Amarok on the remote machine and stream the audio.
>
> Mike

Well, for the record, I really did love Amarok 1.4, more than I have loved any other music player ever (even Winamp in the good old days). But it's seeming to get the "flagged for removal" treatment in a lot of distros these days.

Amarok 1.4 had a web frontend (http://sourceforge.net/projects/amarokwebfront/) that was a pretty neat idea - it used your existing amarok db and served up a webapp for streaming or downloading your music. I used it for a little while - it was alright, but had a few bugs, and development on it seems to be quite dead. I have no idea if anything similar exists or is in the works for Amarok 2.

Another project to check out is Subsonic (http://gosubsonic.com/pages/index.jsp). I haven't used it very much personally, but was very impressed with the ease of setup and slickness of the interface. One of my coworkers has it set up on her home computer and regularly uses it at work.

Ian