I'm trying to get my USB printer (a Brother MFC-420CN) to work with
Ubuntu 9.10 Linux. I've found several references that say it should be
fully supported, and I've followed the instructions on the Brother
Solutions center page
(http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/instruction_prn1a.html),
installing the lpr and CUPS drivers, verifying they're there, ..., right
up to the point where I'm to use the CUPS interface to verify that my
printer is there (isn't not) and if not, use the CUPS admin interface
and add the printer and "correct" driver. When I run though the admin
interface "add printer" function, it shows my Brother printer as a local
printer choice, but when I select that and try to continue, I'm asked to
select the model from a drop down list, and the 420cn is not listed.
(Again a previous step to verify the drivers installed correctly
indicates success.) Clearly I'm overlooking something - would anyone
have any suggestions on how to proceed?

Larry