On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Robert Nesius <nesius at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you want a large bucket of bits with some protection from crashes, I'd go
> RAID 5.  Whether you use enterprise class disks or not, buy an extra one and
> just set it in the case or a safe place to serve as a hot spare.  Chances
> are a drive will die, and you can replace the dead drive and rebuild the
> array while RMA'ing the dead drive.

If you don't intend to buy "RAID edition" drives, go RAID6.  The most
stressful time in a RAID drive's life is usually a rebuild.  That's
when you're likely to find that OTHER drive problem that didn't cause
the array to fail initially.  It can often be recovered, but often /=
always.  RAID6 means more "wasted" capacity, but you won't think of it
as wasted if you ever have a second drive fail during a rebuild.
No, I don't work for a hard drive company who wants you to buy more.
I do work for a company that sells storage solutions, and I speak from
(painful) experience.  *sigh*
- Justin