I have a RealTek 816x NIC in my FreeBSD 8.0 box, this is the same machine I was having issues with last month with ACPI. I've swapped out the hard drive and did a full system install last night and at 2AM the NIC gave out.

When I run /etc/rc.d/netif restart I get  the normal processing data about my NICs and then this:
re0: reset never completed!
re0: PHY write failed
re0: PHY write failed
re0: PHY write failed
re0: PHY write failed
re0: PHY write failed

And it proceeds to bring lo0 and re0 back up, but re0 has it's listed static IP but is not discoverable on the network.

A reboot can temporarily fix this but I want to avoid rebooting every 4-6 hours automatically (for obvious reasons).

I've found patches referencing 7.1 but not 8.x.

I can post more details if you need, just point me where you need me to look for them.

--
Ryan