Interesting. While teh author of that website commented on his
"project". He is remastering and providing that remastered ISO while
keeping the other things from Ubuntu untouched. He even provides the
"remastering" tool which I am assuming is GPL'd. If he just made a copy
of an Ubuntu file on a "flash" stick and then gave it to a friend that
is not a remastering it's just a copy. If this person is not providing
source code he is in TOTAL violation of GPL.

On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 00:09 -0600, goodstuff9 at msn.com wrote:
> Take a look at "masonux": http://sites.google.com/site/masonux/home
>
> Jason Hsu, Linux User wrote:
> > As an engineer, I like Ubuntu's strong repository (has Scilab and software for programming microcontrollers) but would prefer something more lightweight, especially since Ubuntu ends support of older versions while making newer versions more power-hungry. With each revision, some users of older computers get cut off and forced to another distro.
> >
> > I tried Debian, but it requires MUCH more tweaking to get it working, and it takes a LONG time to install it. I've been spoiled by Puppy Linux (so user-friendly and so lightweight), but it's software repository is weak, and I had difficulty with the Woof system (perhaps it will be better by 4.3.2 or 4.3.3).
> >
> > So what other Linux distros have a good repository like Ubuntu and are at least as user-friendly but are lighter-weight?  What lightweight distros are compatible with the Ubuntu and/or Debian repository?  Are Slackware and Gentoo distros I should consider?  If they have strong repositories but are user-unfriendly, are there derivative distros that are compatible with their repositories?

NOTICE:
GNUPG validated with key 0xD537A8E1. Questionable
validations please verify by phone for authenticity.
RTF, TXT, LaTeX, PDF and DJVU files inline or by
attachment are gladly accepted. Confidentiality
guaranteed only by strong encrypted formats whether
sent or received from me. HTML, chain mail or other
forms of SPAM deleted upon RECEIPT!
Windows GNUPG Version:
ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/gnupg-w32cli-1.4.10b.exe
Bcrypt encryption, all platforms:
http://bcrypt.sourceforge.net/