On 2/23/2010 9:36 AM, Dan Armbrust wrote:
> Anyone used the Intel Linux Binary Video card drivers recently?
>
> Do they work well?
>
> I'm looking to build a MythTV box, and thinking of getting a
> Motherboard with an integrated Intel GMA X4500HD video system... but
> it would be nice to know ahead of time if the Intel driver works worth
> anything in Linux... or should I stick with NVidia (which I know to
> work great)?
>
> And no, don't suggest ATI.  I've been down that road... never going back :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

I have been using the Intel GMA video chipsets for quite a while, and
have had no problems whatsoever with video playback of many different
qualities and sizes, ranging from your standard 800MB avi, to high
quality 1080P 12-15MB H.264 Codec. The only problem chipset I have seen
is the GMA 500 (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_500_on_Linux).

You also are considering a much more beefy chipset that I have (I have
the x3100), and they share the same driver (xorg-video-intel) which I
believe has been open sourced.

Most of the devices I play around with have a wide range of GMA
chipsets, of which, of which all had accelerated 2D and 3D (With the
exception of the 500).

~Mr. M