I was away from normal email, but when checking my inbox via my iPhone I was
able to see a lot of messages on this thread.  I thought "Wow, a lot of
people sure are excited to talk about Linux!"   I should have realized it
was a flame war.

I'd like to just take a moment to note a few things.
*
Re: Collusion between Intel and Microsoft  to somehow harm Linux *
Having just finished a twelve year tour at Intel where I maintained a
distribution of Open Source tools across multiple Linux distros, and before
that, multiple flavors of vendor-supported *nix, I can tell you this isn't
true.  If you think Microsoft and Intel get together for group love fests
and anti-linux strategy sessions, think again.  Microsoft and Intel are
strategic partners.  They will work with each other to when necessary to fix
problems.  Strategic business partners do that in every industry.   Beyond
that Intel doesn't give a damn how many PCs are running Windows, and how
many are running Linux.  What they care about is that it is Intel iron under
the hood.  Intel wised up very quickly to the fact that x86 architecture was
the dominant architecture for Linux, and that a lot of big-iron companies
were willing to embrace Linux because no one strictly controlled it.  Linux
is deemed very much a part of Intel's strategic plan - so much so quite a
few of the top kernel developers are now employed at Intel in the Open
Source Technology Labs.  Moblin - Intel's SDK/OS for the Atom processor, is
also part of the Open Source Technology Center and is fundamentally based on
Linux.

Where Intel has to tread carefully is that they cannot trumpet the virtues
of Linux over Windows too loudly - to some degree their hands are tied.  But
in the market where Linux makes money - the enterprise computing environment
- Linux wins the day on its own merits.  Consider the fact that Bing runs
over Linux clusters before disputing that claim too loudly. (Not to mention,
check out the Halloween Documents.)

Moving on to some of Bob's comments:

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 1:45 PM, bob <r_a_wilkinson at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Although I loved Linux compared to DOS, there just wasn't any quality,
> user friendly office productivity software.

At the time you performed this assessment, Linux was a home-brew attempt at
providing a POSIX compliant kernel whose functionality was based on the
design and principles of Unix, and whose goal was to be a "free Unix", in
essence.  Office productivity wasn't the goal of the GNU/Linux at that time,
and the vast majority of its users would have you pry their emacs or vi
editors from their cold, dead hands before they would resort to the steaming
pile of stink that is Word.    In short, your off-hand dismissive assessment
is an apple's to oranges comparison based on ignorance.  That doesn't make
your observation any less valid objectively - or your decision to stick with
windows any less logical.

If I were in the same position I was in years ago, I would sill have to
> go with Windows because of the lack of quality, user friendly
> productivity software.  AS much and as fast as Linux had evolved, it
> still can't compete in the office environment with non-techie users.

Sadly, Windows can't compete in an office environment with non-techie users
either.  I support a predominantly windows environment for a concrete
company now.  I challenge you to find a less technical user base.  Just
today, while helping someone set up something as stupid-simple as an email
signature, I ran into html rendering inconsistencies in two different
Microsoft products that added up to some immense frustration.  Now... if
your complaint is that Word doesn't exist on Linux, well... that's partly
true.  You can run Word through Wine if you really want to.  But that said,
Open Office has met all of my WYSIWYG needs for office apps, and I'm
convinced after two months of learning pains my support load would be lower
if the environment was running over a good Linux distro.

The most important point though, is that Linux lovers need to stop
> arguing with me and fix the problems.  If you don't, Linux will always
> be inferior to Windows for the masses.  But then.... isn't that what
> some of you really want?

Bob, if you can't read this paragraph and see just how blindly conceited
this is, then do me a favor.  Open up your virtual suitcases, pack your
things, and find another community to crap on.

Kind regards,

-Rob