I have two Ubuntu 9.10 systems on a local network provided by a Linksys
router. I installed Firestarter on one of them and found that, as
expected, it blocked access for file sharing by the other system.
However, I tried adding rules to allow connections from the other
system, and to allow specific service (SMB) requests from the other
system, both by specific network address and by host name, each rule
alone and both of them together. All combinations of neither, either, or
both rules result in the other computer being blocked (if I turn off the
firewall, access works fine, so the sharing part is set up correctly).
I'm obviously missing something, any suggestions?

Thanks - Larry McMains