I wouldn't  claim that the analogy is "exact", but this reminds me of the push to use Esperanto instead of English because Eaperanto
was easier, better, etc, as a world-wide common language.  A few "intellectuals" learned and spoke Esparanto whenever they could.
However, there never was a city where a common tourist could ask directions to restrooms or restaurants in Esperanto, so folks
continued using what they knew.

On the other hand, there was a day when IBM and its proprietary hardware and software was dominant.  Because of its attempt at rigid
(and expensive) proprietary control, IBM is no longer such a big deal.   Microspft is headed that same way at an increasing pace as
they attempt to make IE6 and XP Pro obsolete and require much more powerful hardware to run the same old stuff.  Microsoft has not
added any actual functionality to Office Pro since 1997, but has made minor format changes that make it hard for an average user to
use rhe old stuff.  Many corporations (Honeywell was/is one, Wells Fargo is another) maintain legacy compatibility because huge
numbers of their customers have no need or budget for $1,000/year "upgrades".  Keep your IBM punched card reader and remember the
day when IBM and those were boss   :-)

I used to do math by rubbing two sticks together...

Chuck