On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 13:45:47 -0600, bob <r_a_wilkinson at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I started using Linux back in the DOS days when the company I worked for
> wanted me to study the differences between the new Microsoft Windows OS
> that was just introduced, and Linux for the work place.

Well, it can and it does. I use open source solutions in a windows
environment at work. It just takes an open mindset. Also, as a non-windows
household, my non-techie roommate can use any one of my computers without
asking me questions. AND, she is a girl (not even in IT!) :)

In your case, it seems like you are a supporter of status-quo. I don't
mind though.

> Although I loved Linux compared to DOS, there just wasn't any quality,
> user friendly office productivity software.
>
> About 2 years ago I heard of Ubuntu and gave it a try. WOW what a
> difference. I am using Linux more and Windows less every day... on my
> home computer.
>
> If I were in the same position I was in years ago, I would sill have to
> go with Windows because of the lack of quality, user friendly
> productivity software.  AS much and as fast as Linux had evolved, it
> still can't compete in the office environment with non-techie users.
>
> Give me some GOOD OCR software and much better hardware compatibility,
> and I will change my mind, throw out Windows, and never look back!
>
> The most important point though, is that Linux lovers need to stop
> arguing with me and fix the problems.  If you don't, Linux will always
> be inferior to Windows for the masses.  But then.... isn't that what
> some of you really want?

See, that is the thing. You are never going to get good responses when you
start the conversation by alienating people. This is considered trolling.
"This sucks because I say it does, prove me wrong" type of thing.

On a serious note, if you like that linux is free, then you can't expect
someone else to just "fix it for me" - If no kernel developers are using
the hardware that you have, well..you can probably pay someone to make it
work. Similarly with software. I choose to work on free software because I
like to, I don't care to support people with attitudes like "your software
sucks because foo doesn't work, Windows is better" either contribute
constructively or don't use it. :)

Get involved, file bugs for projects, donate some money (or hardware) to
your favorite software application (or distribution). Submit a patch :)
Linux in general means nothing if people are not involved.

-Jeremy