I've seen this problem mostly on USB bootable Linux thumb drives
(occasionally being sda, sdb, and sdc). In which case I solved this by
using UUID in Grub and fstab (the drive assignment doesn't matter since
the drive is booting from a USB device only).

I get the thumb drives and other drives moving around often in my
scenario (even if using the same ports hot swapping), but what kind of
BIOS re-arranges SATA drives that aren't even being moved around in the
OPs case- it's just wrong. Probably worth some communication with the
board manufacturer; this would cause problems with any operating system.

*Jeremy MountainJohnson*
jeremy.mountainjohnson at gmail.com <mailto:jeremy.mountainjohnson at gmail.com>