As for running VMs as a service in the background, then I would
suggest VMWare Server 2.0. I initially thought that version 2.0 was a
complete and utter failure using the web interface, however people
soon learned you can use the Vsphere/ESXi client to connect to Server
v2. If you are then using the Vsphere client you can then shut down
the internal webserver that VMWare runs to manage the VMs and it
really has a decent memory footprint.

Here is a link to some instructions on using the VSphere client:
http://www.linux.com/community/blogs/accessing-vmware-server-2-with-vsphere-client-the-unsupported-way.html

I have a machine that was non ESXi compliant, so I had to use Windows
2003 as the host. Stripped down to only necessary services I could
easily run 2x Windows 2003 AD servers and one Linux VM under version
2.0. All are set to automatic load upon windows start, so if the
machine is shut down it just takes a couple of minutes longer to load
everything up. Other than that it works flawlessly.

I might add, if you are looking at running ESXi, do ignore the VMWare
Hardware Comparability list. There are really only two things you need
to run ESXi either 3.5 or 4. That is a compliant NIC and storage
adapter. You can install 3.5 on IDE drives, but need SCSI to create a
datastore. Both ESXi 3.5 and 4.0 can be run off of a USB flash drive,
in fact that is what we run our ESXi servers on. I have a test machine
that is a HP d530 desktop that runs 3.5 that uses an old Adapatec 2940
card, which are a dime a dozen now.