Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:52:44 -0600
From: "Scott Downing" <SDowning at erdc.k12.mn.us>
Subject: [tclug-list] Apache ITK Errors
To: <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>

So a pair of my Ubuntu load balanced apache setups which runs apache2-mpm-itk has been getting "[warn] (itkmpm: pid=29155 uid=1003) itk_post_read(): initgroups(): Operation not permitted" messages rather constantly, every few minutes. There's two web servers in this case and both are getting this error.

These are VMWare clones of a base setup which I have running in other places with more activity and none of them have ever gotten this error. I can't find much information on this error, one reason I read is that apache needs to be running as root for itk to work but it is running as root as far as I can tell. Another says something about cross uid requests from the same connection and I have no idea how that would be happening.

They're load balanced with a Barracuda Load Balancer, no idea on the model but I'm thinking maybe there's something different in the setup for these than the others, maybe the load balancer is leaving connections open and using them for multiple purposes as a way to be more efficient0

They load balance two Moodle vhosts, this is the only load balanced setup that has two vhosts, the others are all single site so maybe the two are fighting amongst each other, but I also have a few shared single apache servers from the base clone that run 20+ sites on itk but without the load balancer.

I'm out of ideas, anyone have any suggestions?