The original IEEE Ethernet ran on 1/2" 50 ohm coax.  That's where it all
came from.  Technology marches on, however.  You may soon be wondering how
any wire could work as fiber optics takes over network interconnects as
component prices drop to par with CAT5, etc.  I'm glad to see that wireless
Morse and thermionic valves have been replaced  :-)

Chuck