> > i've been using ubuntu netboot, small download, no cd needed, but i'm
> > wondering if there's an even more convenient installer out there, that
> works
> > inside whatever linuz you're already booted into, a bit like how
> vzpkgcache
> > prepares a new container..?
>
> Both Fedora and Debian (and I assume Ubuntu by osmosis) can be
> installed within themselves.  I'm more interested in hearing WHY you'd
> want to.  A netboot install is about as convenient as it gets, and
> usually with installs you want to get as close to the bare metal as
> you can.  Installing within the OS seems counterproductive, but please
> enlifghten me.....

convenience.  eg, netboot kernels never support my wireless card.  i know
installer designers want to make sure they have an environment that works,
so they ship installers that come with their own kernel.  i on the other
hand know perfectly well that my kernel would work, and would rather be
running my kernel while installing.  i presume that's what you mean by "can
be installed within themselves".  i could go dissect the netboot initrd, but
otoh, do you have any details/pointers/ideas to spare me that bit of nit
combing?