On Tue, 31 Aug 2010, Daniel Taylor wrote:

> Before there was vi there were ed (the line editor) and sed (the stream
> editor).
>
> In the days of paper terminals ed was the ultimate interactive text
> editor, you could (in theory) write your thesis using it.

I remember the paper terminals at WPI in 1976.  There was a program,
possibly ed, that allowed us to type a line and then see what we had
typed.  Or maybe we would type, but when we used backspace we wouldn't
really see the effect (was that when we saw ^H^H on the screen?) but we
could see the line later to check that it was correct.  Maybe that was ed.

Anyway, I hadn't thought of it before, but as you point out, when you're
using that kind of interface, you can't use a normal modern-day editor.
So that's why they call them "screen editors".

So that was all we had when I was a freshman -- paper terminals that you
couldn't get on unless you were willing to stay up all night.  Now my son
is a freshman and he has a laptop with 4GB RAM hooked up to a 25" 1080p
HDTV.  That laptop probably has much more than 100 times the total
computing power at WPI in 1976.  I think this has gone better than I
expected, but I can't really remember what I expected.  I do remember
people talking about computer-brain hook-ups so that you would control a
computer with your "mind."  I think we were supposed to have that about 10
years ago.  AI didn't go as well as they thought it would.

> sed was (and perhaps still is) the ultimate non-interactive text editor.

I used to use it, but then started using perl for all the functions
previously handled for me by sed.

Mike