I'm wondering what virus scanners are available and which are preferred. I'd also like to stick with FOSS if possible but I'm not sure if they're able to keep up with the ever changing virus landscape.  I'm interested in scanning user uploaded content for MS viruses so they aren't being distributed, in my 15 years of linux experience I've never ran any kind of virus scanner on a Linux server.

I'm also thinking I'm not so concerned about constant scanning, maybe a midnight daily or weekly scan will be enough since we've never had any problems in the past, just some concern has been raised by the fact that we're not checking anything ever.

-Scott