On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Yaron <tclug at freakzilla.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010, Robert Nesius wrote:
>
>  BUT - if you log in via ssh as a non-root user you could run strace
>> against the su command.   'strace -f -o /tmp/strace.out su - user'.
>>

> Hey, good idea. Assuming it'll actually do it for su. And lets a user
> strace all the way up (; definitely worth a try.

Yep - and notice the '-' in the su command.  I would see if you can
reproduce the lag with and without the '-'.

su - user  # invokes a new login shell that completely sources the user's
login files
su user # changes identity without sourcing the target user's login files.

If 'su - <username>' triggers the delay, but 'su <username>' doesn't, the
problem is in the login environment.

-Rob