On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Mike Miller
<mbmiller+l at gmail.com<mbmiller%2Bl at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Adam Morris wrote:
>
> > I've also used proprietary products that I'm still desparately searching
> > for a good FOSS replacement for, but that is another discussion
> > altogether.
>
> I know about that.  Right now I don't use Mathematica, or have much of a
> need for it, but I don't think anything out there can do what Mathematica
> does, not at that level, so I could still see myself using it or
> recommending it to my son, but I would proceed cautiously, always trying
> to use free software to do the same work whenever the free software could
> do it.

There are FOSS software suites out there that aim squarely at Mathematica.
(Octave?  Sage perhaps?)  I think Mathematica is still the BSD of math
packages
though.  And the B in BSD stands for Big, not Berkeley.  See "Liar's
Poker".
(The Book).

-Rob