On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Adam Morris wrote:

> What about using an ssh key so you don't need to enter the password.

Glad you brought it up!

I'm glad because I've been wanting to set this up, but I do have some
simple questions and maybe some of you can answer.

(1) Security -- If a password is not needed, then that must mean that if
an account is accessed by an unauthorized user, that user can access
accounts on other machines that are accessible via ssh key.  How much of a
problem is this?

(2) Control -- Is this something that is allowed or disallowed by
/etc/sshd_config?  It looks like it.  Can I restrict passwordless
authentication using keys to certain users or to certain remote machines?

(3) Setup -- Is there a recommended guide on how to set this up?  What
options do I need to consider?

I definitely want to set this up between my home and office, both of which
have static IP.  I probably will want to use it even more than that, but I
would proceed somewhat cautiously.

Best,

Mike