On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Adam Morris wrote:

> You obviously haven't been using Linux for long.  I've seen more elitism
> in the Unix and Linux communities than one would find in any of the Ivy
> League schools, and that includes the Professors...
>
> Annoying as he'll to those of us who would one day like to see the
> general public using Linux.

It's a step in the right direction.  First it's "elitist," then it
attracts users who want to be elite (or is it spelled "1337"?), then you
have enough of those people around so that the average guy/gal asks his
geeky friend, "how can I fix my Windows virally-incapacitated Windows
machine?" and the friend says, "I don't have a lot of time for that, but I
can install Linux on it with loads of great free software and I'll help
you to keep it working."  That's actually how my son first got Ubuntu on
his laptop.  He has another dead Windows box at home (also loaded with
viruses -- why does that alwayss happen to teenage boys?) with a 64-bit
processor ready to run Ubuntu next time I get my hands on it.

Mike