On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Tom Poe wrote:

> We ranked 6th for something, and 40th for broadband (true broadband)
> speed.  Now, I don't know about you, but that would put us behind a
> whole lot of Third World countries, wouldn't it?  So, how do they do
> that, and have citizens paying a fraction of what we're paying.
> Genachowski actually believes we all will have to pay more, before true
> broadband will be competitively offered.  I'm sick.  Did anyone else
> come away with a different impression? Tom

I was in S. Korea two months ago.  They had 18 Mbps broadband in the
hotel.  I guess the country is wired really well and there's fast/free
wifi all over the place.  But the thing is, it's a small country with 60%
of the nation's population in the Seoul metro area.  Also, a lot of
Koreans want to leave Korea and come here, so we must be doing something
right.

I think it's a lot easier to get a high average broadband speed when the
country is small.

Mike