On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Robert Nesius wrote:

>> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 8:53 AM, James <jucziz6 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have read articles that states that NFS is insecure but those
>> articles are many years old. Is it still insecure?
>
> Pretty much.  NFSv4, if it ever arrives in the form of a full
> implementation, could possibly be better.  NFSv4 pretty much solves all
> of the caching/scaling issues inherent in NFS (theoretically a legitmate
> AFS replacement) along with world hunger, etc... you get the idea.

Here's my situation (presumably relevant to this thread):  I have a laptop
and a couple of servers and root permissions on all of them, so I can set
something up if someone has a good plan.  I run Ubuntu on all three of
these machines.  I'd like to set it up so that the drives on both servers
are mounted by both servers and by my laptop.  If I take my laptop to the
U, to my home WiFi network, or the coffee shop, or anywhere else, I'd like
to automatically mount the drives on those servers.

I've been using sshfs.  I assume it's as secure as ssh, so pretty safe,
but is there another way that's better than sshfs?  Is something else
faster than sshfs but without sacrificing security?

Mike