On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Justin Krejci <jus at krytosvirus.com> wrote:

> I have seen a number of customers use Dell switches and have not really
> heard anything negative about them.

The Dell rebranded-SMC switches are crap.  In a power event, they
usually don't come up gracefully and require a bit of massaging to get
up and running again.  I would never pay money for one, but maybe I'd
take one for free.

I prefer the old Netgear stuff (rebranded Bay networks).  I don't
recall the model number, but I picked up a 24 port GigE Netgear for
under $400 a couple years back.  48Gb backplane, fully managed, VLAN
support, all that jazz.  Beware 24 port switches that are
oversubscribed!  Even the $3000 Ciscos are oversubscribed.  I never
understood how a $400 can outperform enterprise gear but it really
can.

Brian