We have a Cisco core switch doing all the Layer 3. We have a mix of
Dell PowerConnect 3448, 3548, 5348, and 5448 switches connecting back
to the Cisco. This 3XXX and 5XXX lines of PowerConnect switches has
been solid, even the PoE versions, and the pricing is more appealing
than the pricing of extreme networks, juniper, transistion networks.
Haven't worked with the 28XX series Dan Rue mentioned, but for the
price it looks like a good bet.

Had a couple Netgear managed gig switches at a remote location at one
time. Ran fine while I was on site, then started doing flaky things
(dropping from gig to 10 megabit, dropping the connection entirely,
lots of retransmits and errors) a few months down the road. We threw
the cable qualifier on all the structured cables and patch cables and
everything passed, so we replaced the Netgear switches with Dell
PowerConnects and haven't had an issue since.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
IT Outhouse Blog Thing | http://www.itouthouse.com