This is a totally bizarre place for this discussion, but I'm game to
continue as long as it's civil and nobody objects.

On 08/22/2010 09:17 AM, J.A. Simmons V wrote:
> Daniel,
> I will agree that there is a lot of religious mysticism regarding the
> concept that is a free market, both for and against. I have met a lot of
> irrationality on both sides, and most of it comes from a lack of actual
> research and logical thinking. Does laissez-faire have problems, of
> course it does, as does every system, but I hold that it is the fairest
> system that we have at this time.

The fundamental problem with laissez-faire is actually the same as the
problem with governmental control. A significant portion of the human
population has a desire to maximize their personal power.

Any system that does not have explicit checks on their ability to do so
will eventually devolve into some form of tyranny when one of these
individuals finally succeeds in surpassing the ability of any other
individual or group to suppress them. Even systems that do have such
checks may fail over time, but they tend to be much longer lived and
present a more stable environment until they fail.

It is really exactly as simple as that, and this tendency is well known
and has been recognized for centuries. It is in fact one of the primary
principles behind the division of powers in the US Constitution.

Thus, while it is obvious that too much government causes problems and
misallocation of resources, it is equally clear that too little
government will have the same result. The path for maximal market
freedom is therefore one in which both extreme wealth and extreme
poverty are guarded against as related evils, as well as providing a
framework for the consistent punishment of fraud.

Not touching the money question right now. I might come back to it later.

--
Dan