On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, J.A. Simmons V wrote:

> I was using the story to contradict your statement that the free-market
> could not fix the situation. There were two examples of the free-market
> fixing the situation, and I know that there are plenty more.

Sorry that I can't read more of your crap.  Just because some white store
owner in some place decided it was in his interest to serve black
customers doesn't mean that a free market "fixes" racism.  Why didn't a
free market end slavery?  I'm sure you'll say something to the effect that
the government supported slavery through laws.  Of course they did, but
white slave owners were allowed to have such laws -- they wanted them, so
they got them.  The only way to end slavery was for the government not to
say, "we have no more slavery laws," but to make slavery illegal.  Yes,
ending slavery required government intervention, in the US and in many
other nations.

Please remember what my point is:  It is not that government is always
good, it is that government regulations are not *necessarily* bad.  It
depends.  Sometimes they are good and we need them.  I'm saying this to
contradict the idea, presented by others on this list, that one ought to
oppose all government regulation, even before seeing what the proposed
regulation is.  Government regulations and laws of all sorts can be really
good or really bad and it is up to us to look at the details and make a
decision about what we want to support or fight against.

Mike