I agree, we should not abolish government regulation all together. I
want the government to hold up individual rights as it intended, but not
interfere too much with businesses (unless they commit fraud, or other
criminal activity- this type of enforcement has historically and is
currently lacking in our country right now). Harassing any citizen
regardless of race, religion, orientation, etc. isn't right nor legal;
this is a criminal matter. Having a public government run bus service
that segregates is illegal. However, today in Minnesota if you have a
small business (I believe it is less than 25 employees), you are free to
hire who you chose and are not subject to equal opportunity employment.
Go to your local dry cleaner (White Way and a few other chains are too
big to fit into this) and see how many men they hire to work behind the
counter. I know several women who say they just wish their company would
just tell the men applicants they won't get hired but they don't- if it
were known they were sexist their business would be in social market
trouble, not legal.

Any big organization whether government or corporate will have increased
corruption. How do we control it? Trust the government? Trust the profit
driven business? I don't have definite answers to non-perfect system we
have (perfection will never exist).

Take a look at some anti trust issues the government has tackled-
Microsoft and DOJ, a waste of money and resources- and patent law?
Browse over to Slashdat-
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/08/17/0437242/Why-Software-Patents-Are-a-Joke-mdash-Literally.
Government regulation can be good, but it can also be nearly as bad as
the slow moving reactions of the free market.

I do wish the government would focus less on silly regulations and more
on criminal enforcement in the corporate world. I wish government would
cut excessive red tape. I also wish I had a definite end all answer, but
with every system there will be inherent problems- this is not socially
or ethically okay but we CANNOT fix everything by running to the
government every time. I see you have chosen the answer that you think
best suits everyone else, unfortunately not everyone else agrees with
you entirely so it is not a solution. Neither are my thoughts, but at
least I admit it and can define what is clearly not working in terms of
regulation.