Wearing my lawyer hat:

The DMCA is not a regulation, it is a statute, passed by Congress & signed
by the President.

Taking it off:

For the "free market uber alles" folk, please read about natural monopolies
and the history of "common carrier" regulations. The experience of small
farmers and railroads may be especially instructive.

For the gentleman who asked for an example of a monopoly in the last century
that wasn't related to government regulation, you're going to have to look
outside the US. This isn't a coincidence: the Sherman Act, which limited the
"free" market in this way was passed in 1895.  Beyond our borders, there are
plenty of examples.

I put free in quotes because I think you'll find that economists make
significant distinctions between situations where buyers and sellers have
equal power and where they do not.

Where they do, monopolies are not a worry. Where sellers have greater power,
then a monopoly is one possible negative outcome. That I can name every
company that can provide me and have control over a network pipe to the
outside world tells me that there are few enough of them that individual
sellers have way more power than individual buyers in this market.

Seriously, please look up the phrase common carrier. It is a good parallel
to the trendy network neutrality phrase and its history night provide some
great examples of why regulation can be economically efficient.

As always with policy, the devil is in the details.

Thomas

On Aug 19, 2010 5:09 PM, "Mike Miller"
<mbmiller+l at gmail.com<mbmiller%2Bl at gmail.com>>
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, J.A. Simmons V wrote:

> When you sign a contract with your ISP, what do you ex...
Not necessarily.  With a free market, you get what you get.  There are no
guarantees.

For example, people used to say that a free market would solve the problem
of racism because companies that refused to hire people just because they
were black would not compete as effectively as companies that based hiring
decisions on ability alone.  It did not work that way.  Companies avoided
hiring high-ability black workers for a number of reasons (e.g., most of
our customers are probably racists who won't want to work with a black
sales rep).  It was necessary for the government to force companies to
eliminate racial bias in hiring.  Government regulation was able to fix
what a free market could not fix.

Yes, the regulation was a restriction on freedom -- the freedom of
companies to hire an all-white work force, or the freedom of white workers
not to associate with black people -- but the same regulation enhanced the
freedom and opportunity of the black workers.

Mike