On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:29 AM, Mike Miller
<mbmiller+l at gmail.com<mbmiller%2Bl at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, Harry Penner wrote:
>
> > On Aug 19, 2010, at 16:48, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com<mbmiller%2Bl at gmail.com>>
> wrote:

> >> What are the "basic laws of governmental intervention?"  You don't seem
> >> like much of an expert to me, but maybe you can refer me to a text book
> >> on this subject.  Is this something that all experts in econ/poli-sci
> >> agree on or is this just an idea that you are trying to promote in
> >> opposition to the views of many experts?
> >
> > Who said I'm an expert, or that someone has to be an expert to ask you
> > to think past the end of your nose?  This is a LUG for crying out loud
> > -- aren't we all independent thinkers here?
>
> You were telling us all how government works, what we ought to do with
> regard to net neutrality, etc., but I think you don't know the first thing
> about it.
>
> Actually I wasn't telling you what you ought to do with regard to net
neutrality.  I was asking you to think before doing anything.  And maybe
ease up a bit on the ad hominem.  I'm not going to argue with you about who
knows more about it -- neither of us has demonstrated any in-depth knowledge
of it in this thread, but I'll grant you probably know more than I do about
the specifics -- but I ask you again to think hard about what the
consequences of such regulation might be.  If we outlaw content meddling by
ISPs, will it cause unmetered connection prices to go up or maybe be phased
out more quickly than they otherwise would be?  Will it affect the usability
of VoIP or video streaming?  If we're dead set on some regulation as the
solution, is there a way to craft it to minimize those effects?  Your point
(in another thread) that we don't even know how the regulation would be
worded isn't an argument for or against it, but it would certainly make me
think twice.  Surely you wouldn't support a regulation that would affect the
entire Internet so broadly without knowing every letter of what's in it?

> >> If a government regulation prevents a corporation from poisoning your
> >> drinking water and crippling you or killing your children, you actually
> >> end up with more choices than you would have had if there had been no
> >> regulation.
> >
> > No.
>
> Whatever.
>
> I spell "oops" differently, but your way is cooler.

-Harry