A history professor I had loved to tell the story of his cousin who owned a
piggly-wiggly in a good-ol' boy Alabama town during the civil rights
movement. His cousin refused to high a single black (do not know of any
other minorities). Well, since the majority of his clientele was black, they
refused to shop at his store. He eventually had to bend to the demands of
the public.
The same for the bus boycott that was sparked by Rosa Parks. There are
plenty of stories of this sort, but those are just the two that I remember
off the top of my head. This shows the free market fixing its own issues,
but of course it was slow. Too slow considering our society and the stance
of individual rights and justice. The biggest problem with the civil rights
era was that the judicial system was failing at protecting the rights of
minorities, which is one of its primary duties. But eventually the courts
got it right, and the congress and states passed the applicable amendments
giving the courts more fodder against rasism.

I will disagree with your statement that with a free market, you get what
you get. I would say that with a free market, you get what is offered. You
can either negotiate for what you want, look for another company that is
offering what you are after, or build your own company that does what you
are looking to do (obvious market segment that is being ignored). Add
regulations to that, and now you are tying the hands of any entrepreneur who
is trying to provide a service to others.
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 17:06, Mike Miller
<mbmiller+l at gmail.com<mbmiller%2Bl at gmail.com>