Feel free to call me cynical after you read this :)

In general i am a fan of net neutrality, i think corporate interests (greed
for money) will eventual lead to many companies elbowing out smaller or
undesireable voices from their large scale networks. on the other hand it is
a delicate situation because if a company invests in its own deployment of
network infrastructure why are they not allowed to divvy up access however
they like? the problem to me is these massive monopolies or even co-opolies
(is that a word?) will work for what their best interests are which
frequently will result in taking advantage of customers every chance they
get. then only after long and tiring government and private investigations,
court involvements, watch dog marketing campaigns, etc will there be a "take
it easy on the customers" change of attitude (at least enough change to stop
the onslaught). The importance of the internet to the world i think means we
need to have some regulation on companies involved in connecting the
internet. it is not just a little side project/hobby/convenience for people
and companies, it is massively critical for large swaths of the population.
Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. It is another
challenging issue regarding personal rights, including "corporate personal
rights", and public good and "public rights". There are many examples of
this in history. Freedom, rights, responsibilities, value systems, beliefs,
nothing is easy when dealing with a large enough scales.

I tend to believe the strong pressure for companies to make money will not
result in a better internet overall if significant portions of the internet
are unevenly balanced with the sole reason being an advertiser is willing to
pay for it. The tight integration of the internet into more and more aspects
of our lives is making it more and more an important part of our
infrastructure and less and less a convenience/luxury.

We need to be careful and having OPEN and FREE public discussions are
critically important. I am glad there are non trivial people attending this
like the FCC commissioners and Senator Franken and other prominent
individuals. The people need to be heard no matter their viewpoint.

As for the recent google/Verizon publicity, as far as I know they neither of
those companies have the rights to form, enact, or police government
regulations. As I understand it they are just making a proposal, which if
passed into law by our government would likely go thru tons of revisions
during their procedures of creating laws.

Wish I could go tonight but I have other commitments already.