On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:53:59 -0500, Erik Mitchell
<erik.mitchell at gmail.com> wrote:
> The specific reason I want to do this is for a git repository in /etc
> (/etc/.git). I'd like me and the main system administrator to be able
> to make commits to that repo, so we can keep track of changes on the
> server.
>
> I realized after getting Yaron's response that when using sudo to make
> commits, my user.name and user.email properties are used for the
> commit log (and not root's). That's a good thing -- what I want. We
> want to be able to keep track of who's making what changes.

So, no problem anymore, right? Since you are not pushing this repo
anywhere you can easily re-write commit messages and whatnot so I
wouldn't be too worried right now. Keep experimenting. :)

> If anyone has any suggestions on a better way to do this, I'm all
> ears. This is my first time doing version control on /etc. I'd be
> interested in hearing what others' thoughts are.

That is actually a good way to do it. I've been keeping my /etc in git
for quite awhile now. I just want to emphasize to you that this is a
"change management system" not a "backup solution" (but it is easy to do
an "off-site backup" with git, git clone <host>:/etc)

-Jeremy