The specific reason I want to do this is for a git repository in /etc
(/etc/.git). I'd like me and the main system administrator to be able
to make commits to that repo, so we can keep track of changes on the
server.

I realized after getting Yaron's response that when using sudo to make
commits, my user.name and user.email properties are used for the
commit log (and not root's). That's a good thing -- what I want. We
want to be able to keep track of who's making what changes.

If anyone has any suggestions on a better way to do this, I'm all
ears. This is my first time doing version control on /etc. I'd be
interested in hearing what others' thoughts are.

-Erik