Different performance profiles even though they may support the same specs,
and also the fact that even drives of the same size may not necessarily have
the same physical geometries or other physical characteristics.  e.g.,
different cache sizes - on a mirrored drive maybe one drive has to do a
cache flush while another one doesn't, thus causing the write to take longer
simply because one drive could absorb the write without going to the
platters while the other couldn't.  That's assuming you didn't match cache
sizes, which most people likely would have the sense to not do even if they
were mixing/matching drives/vendors.

My experience in large-enterprise installs is that everyone uses the same
drives within their arrays and disk cabinets.  We didn't experience massive
simultaneous failures, and the detection/replacement of failed drives was
just part of the service contract for the hardware.  Originally we would
replace failed drives and rebuild arrays ourselves, but over the past eight
years the vendors took that over.

Lastly, diversifying drive as a risk-mitigation strategy can have the
opposite effect - one of the mix-in products may be far worse than the
others.

-Rob