On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 09:52:52PM -0500, Dean E wrote:
> Unfortunately smartd is emailing me that one is failing the smart self
> test. They are only about a month old :-(
> Read your reviews carefully, some of the "green" 5900rpm drives have a
> high failure rate! I tried to pick the one with the best reviews and
> still seems I may have gotten a bad one.

I built my file server with three WDC "Green Power" 750GB in RAID5 and
it performs adequately.  I am mainly storing my own documents,
articles and books in PDF, my MP3 collection and the raw digital
photos (25MB each).

After two years of 24/7 service, one of the hard drives died.  It took
WD three weeks to scrounge a replacement so in the mean time I replaced
the failing drive with a low-power Samsung.

Taking into account the huge capacities (chances of failure and effects
of failure are increasing) and low prices (chances of failure
increasing), every computer that I will build from now on will have RAID
(1 for workstations and 6 for servers) and with hard drives from different
manufacturers.  Also, for the servers and workstations ECC is a must.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163