On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Mike Miller wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Jason Hsu, embedded engineer, Linux user wrote:
>
>> Why isn't your son satisfied with the old Dell laptop?  How old is this
>> laptop?  What does he want in a new laptop?
>
> It is from about 2003.  He says that he has trouble watching internet
> videos. He says that it doesn't hibernate when he closes the case.
>
> Well, I didn't know about the internet video problem and I haven't tried
> to fix it.  I think I couldn't get the hibernation to work and told him
> he'd have to do it by hand before shutting the case.
>
> We can't get over the fact that it is slower than a newer computer.

This (excellent) video is choppy when he runs it in Firefox at full 720p
resolution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkGeOWYOFoA

It isn't because of the network -- the video is choppy (but not the audio)
even when it is fully downloaded.

Regarding hibernation:  The problem is that it doesn't come back up.  We
get a black screen.  I found that we could sometimes recover using
something like Alt-F1, Alt-F7, but this does not always work.  Any ideas?

>> Has he tried using antiX Linux or Puppy Linux on the old laptop?  You
>> haven't told us anything about the hardware specs.
>
> Haven't tried them.  I have noticed that you are an advocate.

This is a Dell Latitude D800 with 1 GB RAM.  Do you think one of those
mini-Linuxes will make it do better with YouTube videos in Firefox than it
is now doing with Ubuntu 10.04?  I should also try Chrome.

>> I like the idea of running Windows in Virtualbox better than dual
>> booting. (I haven't gotten around to trying this myself, though.)
>
> It would be easy to buy a machine with Windows on it, then add Ubuntu as
> the second OS.

Regarding this, I suppose it is possible to have Ubuntu and Win7 as dual
boot and still run XP, say, in VirtualBox.  I might actually do that.

Mike