Three thoughts here:

1) Florin is the man.  /agree 100% with everything he said regarding
business class leading to durability leading to longevity.
2) My average life-cycles for Mac OS-based machines is 5-7 years.  For
Windows-based machines, 3-4 years.
3) I don't buy laptops to meet my current requirements.  I buy them to
destroy my performance requirements by a factor of 2x - especially if they
are windows-based.  While the cost is higher, the enhanced performance
envelope dampens the seemingly inevitable performance degradation of
"windows over time".  I realize that's somewhat subjective, but that's what
it feels like...

-Rob